Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Aging With Grace

I was having a chat with the Blue Mamba the other day.  She beaming with motherly pride.  Her son recently moved back to the area and she is delighted with what a fine adult he has become.  He seems to be interested in everything and absorbs everything he can.

I had to admit that when I was his age I was very much the same.  I'd read several books a week.  I was at all the hot spots and events that were happening.  I knew all the up and comers and was very aware of everything in the news and in entertainment.  I could stay up for days at a time.  I could work two jobs and go to school full-time.  There was no reason to stop being constantly on the go.  I was fit and flexible and open to all ideas.  I loved conversation. I listened to radio constantly, I even left a radio on all night when I slept.  Music, music, music, I couldn't get enough.  I used to have all the latest technology.

Now I find that a half of a life later I'm no longer impressed by topical stuff.  I read one book a year if I am lucky.  I see people who are supposed to be famous and I have no idea who they are, nor do I care.  It seems people are famous for being famous with little tangible substance.  I don't care about philosophy or religion. I care less about politics.  I only listen to OPB radio and they never play music.  I don't like people much either.  I can stand most people for a time limited to under four-hours.  I don't really care to go anywhere, and if I never see a movie or a play again I'll be totally happy with that.

I'm even bored by the Internet.  I've let several of my sites and blogs fall by the way-side.  I am sick of Facebook and I'm visiting that less and less.  I don't check all that many blogs anymore either.  The golden age of blogging is long over.  I can hardly stand email anymore.  When I see something new in my inbox I think, "Oh shit, I'll have to deal with something now."

I no longer care much for new technology.  I couldn't stand my smart phone so I got rid of it and got an old fashioned stupid phone and it works great.  We still have a land line because most cell phones sound like shit. I have a cassette player in my car and I don't care to upgrade it, I just listen to OPB radio while driving.  We haven't upgraded to a flat screen TV yet, our old tube set is still doing fine.  We have three vehicles and all three were made in the 20th Century.  I refuse to send texts and I delete any that are sent to me.

I think Tattoos are stupid, as are piercings and any other type of mutilation.  When I see someone who shaves their head I think of them as a skinhead.

So yes, I am older and far less flexible and I don't care.  This is want happens when one ages.  The passions don't flow as deeply and all your desire for input is exchanged for a want of silence without complication.  It is less important to do things that make you feel great and more important that your knees and hips and back will allow you a pain-free day.  When I was young it was important to me that parts of my anatomy would stand up straight several times a day and now it is important that I stand up straight when ever I rise to my feet.

I remember when I was the age of Blue Mamba's son.  I have fond memories of those times, but time moves forward and to go back to who I once was would be out of nature and hard on the body.  There are reasons one slows down and calms down as one ages. I embrace my present age and I'm glad that I came to my senses as to what is really important and appropriate at this time in life.

14 Comments:

Blogger g said...

You still have a great sense of humor! Geezer. :-) Damn, you are even starting to sound old. GET OFF MY LAWN!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Time for my nap.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Skinhead? Ouch!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, it's all you youngsters keeping me on my toes.

Auntie, don't forget the heating pad.

Jeff, Yep, sorry, I know better with you, but it still takes me a minute or two.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the closest you have come to a "sick" day in a long time. I really miss those days!

jb

10:57 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

With age comes temperament. I just don't have the rage I used to. I guess I'm better at avoiding the stuff that makes me angry these days. Most of it has to do with avoiding any local news sources.

5:55 AM  
Blogger g said...

I find myself getting easier annoyed lately.
Case in point, the following things really pissed me off this week:
Goats ate my trees.
Flies are out.
Birds shit on my truck.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Please let me know if I can take over that one certain Facepagelife.
My first change would be that any and all with the red and pink box gets unfriended and banned immediatly.
AND a few more...

5:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Now, now Gearhead, there are far more crazy conservatives on there and I haven't banned them. Have you noticed all the recent Islamists there? Cool...

9:35 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Does aging with grace mean that you are also more forgetful (about updating your blog a tad bit more often?)? please?

5:56 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm not forgetting to update, just not caring to update.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Chad @ Bikes & Beyond said...

Despite the fact I have multiple tattoos and a shaved head, this made me chuckle. Also, I love where you said:
"So yes, I am older and far less flexible and I don't care. This is want happens when one ages. The passions don't flow as deeply and all your desire for input is exchanged for a want of silence without complication," because its absolutely true.

<3

5:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Chad, nice of you to accept my shaved head/tattoo comment, but seriously, what is with that look? Used to be only ex-cons, but now it is so mainstream that it is no longer unique, but for my generation there is still somewhat of a stigma related to the look. So why is it the look for you?

2:09 PM  
Blogger Rosa said...

Oh, thank the lord you posted this. I am Not Alone. Also, I am Justified.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home