Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lunch Boxes


During all my years of school I've only had one lunch box. It looked like a V.W. Bus. It was cool. I've only seen one and I had it.

Most of the time I just brought my lunch to school in a recycled bag from a Garden State Farms store. These bags were insulated for ice cream sales. They had elaborate illustrations of farms and cows on the bags.

I do remember there were lunch box snobs that got a new lunch box every year. I was very content with my bags and the infusion of my V.W. Bus lunch box in the 5th grade, while other kids got a box in tribute to their favorite TV show that was usually off the air by the end of the school year. It was a case of planned obsolescence and I wanted no part of it. I knew that V.W. bus was a timeless image. I wonder if that lunch box is still in my mother's basement.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I can just imagine you taking the above pictured lunch box to school. I'll bet that would have cause a bit of a stir! Hee hee hee... These days i use an insulated fishing tackle box for my dinner. Nothing as fun as cats doing it, tho.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a Roadrunner and Wile E. COyote lunchbox when I was a tyke. I also recall having a snoopy lunchbox as well. The cool girls had the Partridge Family, David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman. I had cartoon characters (but at least they Roadrunner and Snoopy outlasted the Cassidy's or that Sherman)

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davy Crockett lunch bucket was popular when I was in primary grades...cant remember some of the others I had....in the northwest you got a new one every year because they were of such low grade ferrous metal that they usually rusted out, from the inside, by the time the next school year rolled around

10:56 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I don't recall what any of my lunchboxes looked like, but I got on Ebay and did a search for VW bus lunchbox and found one for $399. Is that like yours? If so, you'd better go hunt around in your mom's basement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960s-VOLKSWAGON-BUS-METAL-DOME-LUNCHBOX-/370305067835?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5637e6eb3b#ht_1170wt_913

6:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I bet no one would have noticed it, but it sure would have been funny.

Anon, imagine what they'd be worth today.

Anon2, I bet they did rust out here pretty quickly. There should have been an undercoating.

Donna, that was the one. Wow, if only I looked at it as an investment back then...

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home