Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Little Joanna Newsom Goes A Long Way


I’ve recently written about College Radio and how they are on the forefront of what is really new and hip. Lately I’m hooked on the station from Texas A&M. You can find it on itunes, KANM. Along with the stream there is a crawler that tells you what is being played at the moment. If you hear something you like you better read the crawl because the DJs never tell you what you’ve been hearing.

I was listening on Tuesday and I heard something very interesting. It was a harpist who can be best described as a musical talent equal to Owen Pallet and Kaki King, but with the voice of Lisa Simpson. Lyrically she is very interesting if you can get past her voice. I’m sure Joanna Newsom is an acquired taste, but she’s worth a listen if you’re bored of all the stuff you’ve been listening to.
Joanna Newsom Video

8 Comments:

Anonymous auntie said...

I like her. Going to find more. However, she looks like a spitting image of my daughter's friend Amanda.

6:24 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Well.... that was odd and cool and somewhat disturbing. She's really cute and very talented and I have no idea why she sings like that. Lisa Simpson is right on the mark. The dichotomy between her playing and her singing makes an odd transition in my brain. It's like seeing the Mona Lisa holding a broken rubber chicken.

7:29 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Don't forget she looks the type that wears a healthy dose of Patchouli Oil.

8:51 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

She has a Bjork voice.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

I love patchouli.

6:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rich, I forgot about Bjork, but yes you're right. Though she does sound more like Lisa Simpson.

Auntie, and when it wears you, I don't like it.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Love the harp...but her voice...sounds like what chewing on tin foil would feel like...thanks for broadening my horizons, though

7:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Teri, Just doing what I can ; )

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home