Thursday, June 10, 2010

Egg Salad


I remember while I was a lad, my mother always had a few hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. She would mark a X on their shells in pencil so they wouldn’t be confused with the other eggs. I recall having an egg salad sandwich for lunch at least weekly. Egg salad was in the rotation along with my other school lunch sandwiched, being tomato, baloney, ham, roast beef, peanut butter and Jelly and tuna. I went to Catholic School so Tuna was a requirement on Fridays before Vatican II, but the other days of the week I could expect a lunch comprised of an item on the aforementioned list.

I always liked egg salad and now that I have chickens and sell their eggs I rarely have enough eggs left to do anything with. Recently one of our weekly customers went away for the week and we had an extra dozen, so we made egg salad. One problem is that fresh eggs don’t peal very easily. Eggs should be at least two weeks old before boiling them. Most eggs you buy in the store are at least a month old before they even get to the store. Our eggs are never older than four days old so process of making an egg old hasn’t even begun when our eggs get consumed.

Anyway, we boil up a dozen eggs which were nearly impossible to peal, but we made a nice batch of egg salad. I just had an egg salad sandwich which was better than any I remember having as a child. One thing though, this sandwich was the messiest sandwich I’ve ever eaten. There was egg salad squishing out in every direction and dripping everywhere. I used several napkins just to keep egg from my face and when I was finished I felt I needed a shower. It’s a good thing I rarely eat in public.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I don't peel them anymore unless they have to stay whole or look pretty. I cut them in half and then use a small spoon and scoop the egg out of its shell. Peeling hard to peel eggs gets on my last nerve.

4:56 AM  
Blogger weese said...

We mark ours in the fridge too. We use an H.
and now...i must go make an egg salad sandwich.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I draw little faces on the hardboiled eggs in our fridge... they smile at you from the egg holder in the door whenever you open it.

5:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

When the wife makes egg salad she also fries up bacon real crispy and crumbles it in with the eggs. Bad for my cholesterol, but good for my taste buds. Bacon and egg salad is a fave at our house. It's awesome on fresh potato bread or on ritz crackers. Yay for eggs!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

Even though your eggs were probably pretty mutilated-looking, at least it didn't make too much difference since you were cutting them up for egg salad - it's awful when this happens to me when I'm trying to make deviled eggs!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it was a NICE "egg on your face".

LOL

9:57 AM  
Anonymous jb said...

Before I go put some eggs on to boil ( I always forget how much I love egg salad!), I have some egg cartons for you--email me and tell me where I should leave them.

9:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, great idea!

Weese, make sure to save some for your wife.

Anon, I hope some are grotesque faces.

Darev, I'm trying that! I bet Auntie will, too.

Joni, That's the problem with fresh eggs.

Walt, very nice, indeed!

JB, I'm buying new cartons from Brims. This way I can label them with my company label. By the way, I looked in every email account I have and I couldn't find you anywhere. I know you were there last year. Please email me. Also you can recycle egg cartons at WOW.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To make fresh eggs peelable a few minutes before they are done boiling dump a bunch of baking soda, like 1/4 cup or more into the pot. It'll foam like crazy so make sure there's enough room in the pot to keep it from foaming over. When the eggs are done cooking immediately rinse them with cold water and crack the shells. Chill thoroughly in the fridge before peeling and 95% of them will peel easily.

columbia critter

8:45 PM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I love Egg Salad, too! That and Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches are holdovers from my childhood favorites!

9:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Or following the Elvis diet.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home