Saturday, July 05, 2008

Remembering to Remember


I once read of a fellow in England who kept a diary of everything he ate every day and he said that it helped him remember everything he did on each day as well. His diary spanned several decades. I tried it for a while and it was pretty cool. It worked. I remembered more about the other events of the day when I wrote down what I ate. Try it.

I was considering doing it again, but then I realized I have this blog that pretty much does the same thing. I looked it up and as of the moments I am writing this I have 760 blog posts published here. Bind it all together and I’m pretty well along on the journey to having an autobiography. I do leave out a lot of information and stories just to prevent the readers from attacking me for some of the things I’ve done and thinking I’m a total douche or dumb-ass.

It’s funny how writing this blog every day has brought back long forgotten feelings and memories. Stuff shows up here that I have absolutely no reason to remember, but somehow it all comes back like an old friend that stopped by for a drink and a visit.

More surprising to me is that people visit here every day and take the yarns I spin and weave them into the cloth that they use to dust off their own memories. The more time I spend blogging the more I enjoy it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaggy said...

Sometimes I just don't want to write a new post every day, but then I remember why I'm writing: I want my children to see that their mother was young, made mistakes, and asked questions about life.

Thanks, as always, for sparking more memories. It's pretty cool how we can do that to each other through blogging.

8:07 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

As to the more time spent blogging the more you enjoy it, my feelings exactly.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

That was Samuel Pepys, right? All I can think of when I see his name is, "Heh, heh. His name is Peeps."
Because I am five.

5:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry I've been unable to answer all your comments, and I will get to them. I've been in the woods with the horses since Thursday.

7:08 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, are you printing your articles out?

Kris, sometimes I do dread it, like when I have no stories in the bank and I have to think of something for my self imposed deadline.

Mel, I'm not sure of his name. I hear that motherhood can lend itself to making you 5 again.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Nope, I'm hoping Blogger survives until my kids pop out and can read. :)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home