Monday, June 30, 2008

A Taste of Home


There is just something about the stuff you were brought up with that makes it special and imprints you for life. I was having a chat with an East Coaster the other day and he mentioned Taylor Ham, a product you just don’t see out here. I was never crazy about it, but I remember bringing it out for Jersey ex-patriots.

When I moved out here I had major cravings for east coast foods I missed. Eventually some of them made their way out here like Bryers ice cream and Thomas’s English Muffins. When Yo-Hoo showed up I got a six pack, drank it in one day and never got it again. There are some products that still have not made their way out here; one being Thomas’s Protein Bread. Oh well, I can live without it.

The one food I miss most and would never tire of is Dai-Day Sweet and Sour Duck Sauce. This is a fruit sauce made with, I believe apricots. This stuff was a condiment back there. Here on the other hand if you order a spring roll the Chinese restaurants give you a side of catsup or if you’re lucky a Yin and Yang mixture of catsup and mustard. If you order anything sweet and sour you get this neon pink jellied glaze. What’s up with that?

When ever my sister visits she usually brings me a jar or two. I looked it up on the internet today and I can mail order six - 40oz jars for $27.54, however the shipping would be $26.60.

I’m starting to think it might be worth it. I did after all once mail order a case of Birch Beer from Pennsylvania. I remember the look of shock on the face of the UPS carrier when I told him what he had delivered. I still have a few bottles of it. Six 40oz jars of duck sauce could last me a year or so.

14 Comments:

Blogger MissKris said...

Thanks for leaving such a nice comment...glad the 'new look' is easier on your eyes! Hope you don't mind, but I added you to my blogroll. My two little grandsons will be here any minute and I need to boogie onward into my day. Don't have much time thru the week for writing or commenting, but I want you to know I'll be stopping by early in the a.m. to visit even if I'm 'quiet'. Have a great week! (I take care of a 3-mo-old and 2-yr-old full time, 10 hours per day...am I crazy or WHAT?! But what can I say...they're my grandsons!!!)

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guy, Let me know if you want me to hook you up with some free 2 day shipping from Amazon. ;)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

SWMBO would perish without her bottle of the stuff!!

Aren't Dreyer's, Edy's, and Bryer's all owned and made by Nestle? Seems I read they're all made the same somewhere.

11:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Bayou, I've lost your email address. Please write me a bbpress@intergate.com I will make it worth your while.

Mike, cheers to SWMBO. Though they may come from the same place, they use different formulas.

Kris, Once wasn't enough, eh?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Sometimes, you just have to live a little and pay the shipping.

3:18 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Hmm, according to the distributor of Dai Day, the same product formulation is available as Mee Tu Duck Sauce which comes in smaller, 10 OZ, jars. Check your local supermarket.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I moved to Oklahoma they didn't have "Kraft" mayonnaise. It was branded "Helmans" but was the same stuff.

I don't know why I remember that other than I always brought a ham sandwich with me to work.

I also started my nasty chewing habit in Oklahoma. "Union Standard" was my brand which was similiar only more tastier than Beechnut. I gave up chewing for smoking Nat Shermans. My last vice.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey little G you like that super toxic bright orange salad dressing called catamaran or something?

That stuff is really sick. You should not eat it.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the problem with that Duck Sauce stuff that guy likes is that you might not like Ducks that much.

I mean if you made a sauce from Ducks or worse if the Ducks make the sauce what are we talking about here? I wouldnt trust that it was sweet and sour.

That's a pretty big jar. Thats a lot of sauce. And its one of those Jars that has a narrow throat and goes pretty deep so you have to stick a knife in there to start getting it out halfway through. But thats just a guess.

9:29 PM  
Blogger MissKris said...

The husband of a couple we know works for a major airlines and he and his wife used to be able to fly free all over the place...dunno if things have changed with the economy what it is now. But they'd get a hankering for a certain pizza they'd once eaten in Chicago and used to hop a flight for the Windy City every now and then just to go have pizza, ha!

5:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, not if Bayou gets back to me with her offer. I love bloggers!

I've never seen it out here. That is an east coast (Jersey) company.

g, Helmans is on the East Coast and Best is on the West. Kraft makes Miracle Whip and that is available coast to coast.

CP, That's Catelena (sp). It is sweet, but you can find a lot of sweet vinegarettes these days, too.
But you're right, Kraft does have some strange products, cheese wiz, miracle whip... and the duck sauce is the nectar of the gods.

Kris, HLS, and fuel prices have ruined what the airlines once were.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guy, I just sent you an email. :)

I have a funny mayo story as well. I grew up on "Blue Plate" which is no where to be found on the west coast. It was one of the items that I missed from the south. My mom relayed this to my aunt who attempted to send me a jar of Mayo in the mail. Except, she OPENED it first, transferred it to a plastic jar (instead of glass) and then proceeded to mail it. I suppose she forgot about that little "Refrigerate after Opening" statement. It was a jar of bright yellow toxic mush when it arrived. Actually, I'm surprised I've ever eaten mayo again...

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK, Look for an up-coming mayo article.

And Bayou, you are now #1 in my favorite blog friend category.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand corrected.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home