Monday, September 03, 2007

A Wet Summer


This has been a rainy summer. We are used to it raining on the 4th of July, getting small sprits in mid August to remind the cut throat trout that there are streams waiting for them and that’s about all the moisture we get until sometime in October.

I don’t think a week has gone by where we didn’t get some sort of precipitation. It has been wet enough that my ponds never dried up this year. My pastures are still green and the grass is still growing. I’ve had to mow the lawn more than once in August. Finally, I was setting some fence posts last week and I was hitting water at two feet in depth.

Around here it is being called the summer that never arrived, but when I think of it, it seemed like a good thing. Friends on water wells still have water and there isn’t that nagging feeling that there is going to be a forest fire that will wipe out all your trees.

Climate change be damned, I could get used to this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Conversely, we've had about 8 or 9 days of 100+ and it's been HUMID, which I don't do. That's part of why I'm here. Someone didn't get the memo.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I can see how a rainy summer is a positive for you.
However, I don't think I'll get used to the violent storms, trees falling and power outages.
I'm rather fond of (addicted to) electricity.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Missouri has turned into a desert. Cliff is going to start feeding hay today.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

We had wet all last summer. This year is back to normal. Just the right balance to keep everyone happy:)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We took one week down to Northern California and it was HELL before we came and remains HELL today. Just miserable, day after day after day. I got a whopper of a sinus infection from all the air conditioning and am SO glad to be home.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home