Saturday, October 21, 2006

Ohhhh Baby!


I find it odd that humans have adopted the word “Baby” into their language of love. Last week Mel had an article titled, “Baby, I lied.” Syd was trying to take a photo of K’s face and got the finger instead, Syd’s comment was “Come on Baby…just turn around for one picture.”

Baby is something I’ve never cooed to anyone. What exactly is the baby likeness of an adult human? I could understand if the one you call “baby” has really soft skin, cries at least 20 times a day and shits their pants, but adults have pubic hair, scars, gum disease and language skills. They aren’t babies.

I know a group of women who are known as “The Babes,” which still gives me the chills when I call one of them “a babe.” But they insist, and I comply. Their estrogen influences me in ways I can’t even begin to understand.

I know it’s all acceptable endearment language, but couldn’t the phrase and word coiners come up with something better? Something a little less...how shall I say it...a little less disgusting.

14 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Well, I mix it up. "Bitch" and "Hey, Dyke" elicit the same response. Go figure.

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Must be the language barrier. Time to send her out to buy caulk again.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

roflmao Guy....are you a Mr. Bean fan?? Sorry I missed out on the jousting between you, moose and Syd....

My services for beating some great white northern butt can be bought for a price....(unless your price is better moose...hehe fickle ain't I???)......AND just for you I can even don my mukluks and my tuke as I put on my snowshoes and head out into the grea white yonder!!!

Yikes don't remind me....the snow is just around the corner!!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being beaten on the butt by a lady wearing mukluks,snowshoes, and a tuque and nothing else sounds like at the very least...an interesting experience. Hell...as if I would pay to not have that happen! Eat your heart out Guy...you have to be careful what you wish for! You might get it!

1:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I am out numbered...baby!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

grrrrrrrrr I stand corrected....thanks for the spelling of tuque...my bad...AND it was bugging me!!

Now back to the romp in the snow...I mean...errrrr the beating....let the games begin!!!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You might be outnumbered babycakes but you can join in the fun nevertheless!!!

1:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Oh, I feel right at home...hey wait, this is my home...

See how sly Moosehead is, he even corrected another Canadian. That just ain't right...He must be from Quebec.

Rich, I'm on a dialup right now, but will check out the vidio when I get back to the T-1

4:05 PM  
Blogger greymatters said...

Tell me about it, Stud?

Sorry for the bad late-70s ref.

10:28 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yep, GM found another one.

Muffin is OK though ; )

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not like being called Baby, but the chicks dig it-'specially the older ones, if you can dig where I'm comin' from. Oh yeah.

1:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I see Disco Stew checking is in. Oh Yeah!

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's funny, I don't say baby, or babe, or whatever except in jest... and the title of that post was in reference to a bad (Juice Newton? Emmylou Harris?) song from the early 80s/late 70s. But I do love the corniness of it... I often spell it "bay-beh."

3:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

As you did today. BTW How dare you dump a bunch of posts on Friday and take another weekend off. Do you think your readers have the sort of discipline to pace ourselves?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home