Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Collection


I don’t know why I continue to do it. It’s a Yankee thing or an October thing I guess. I can’t resist buying a copy of the Farmers Almanac when I see it arrive on the shelf. I have a collection of these annual almanacs dating back to 1972.

I don’t know why I get it, especially since it was Yuppified a few years back. I don’t care for the trend predictions (they are almost always wrong). I don’t care about the tide tables, I use the one from City Lumber. I don’t care about the lunar cycles, if the night has clear skies it’s usually a full moon, if not, it isn’t full. I don’t care about the year in advance inaccurate weather predictions. I don’t care much for the recipes or puzzles. I don’t care about the planting tables… Yet every year I buy a copy of this publication. I think it used to cost Seventy-Five cents; it is now close to Five dollars.

This year I got it on October 1st, and I haven’t even opened it yet. I may not open it because the idea of the publication is usually far better than the reality of the publication itself. I really should sell the whole collection on ebay and put it all behind me.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Weather

It's all about El Nino!
Oh and La Nina of course.

(BTW El Nino has started....Dry and warm winter for us)

12:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm hoping for a No Nino year

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(BTW El Nino has started....Dry and warm winter for us)

If I remember right that was one of the things that made you puke.

Had to press some buttons!

4:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yep, I'm an open book with lots of buttons. I'm gathering a new collection of things that make me sick for another sick day post. So between Sick Days and Contrition Sundays I can be evil and then feel sorry for it. An endless cycle. I wonder if medication would help...

4:37 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

My Papaw believed in the Almanac, so I can't discount it. (He probably was reading the horoscopes, lol)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nawwwwwwww don't sell it...I think that is so cool that you have a collection dating back to '72....so what if some find them cheesy.....to quote Dr. Seuss but don't ask me what made me think of this!! cuz I have no clue. Read: ADD coming out!!)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind."
--Dr. Seuss

....they are fun and lord knows we sometimes don't get enough fun these days!! They are like an icon...everyone has heard of the Farmer's Almanac.......

Barb

8:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Popaw? Dang, you don't get more southern than that, unles you start talking the Spanish equilivant...

No thisuser, I am not Canadian, but I do sincerely hope to become one some day.

Barb,I guess I should give them a good looking at, just to see if I am missing something. I could probably submit a couple agricultural based articles to them for consideration. I think I have shoes older than 1972 by the way.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home